The Office of the Provost has remained dedicated to ensuring the continued growth and evolution of our research enterprise, including the support of more than 100 COVID-related research projects and special attention to the enhancement of our sponsored research administration. We are proud of the flexibility and diligence with which GW’s research community has continued to excel this year, and we thank you for all your hard work.
While we look to the future beyond COVID-19 and prepare for a return to campus in the fall to the fullest extent possible, we are well-positioned to consider next steps in the continued growth and development of our research enterprise.
Vice Provost for Research Search Announcement
We are pleased to officially announce the national search for a vice provost for research, run by a faculty-led committee chaired by Paul Wahlbeck, Dean of the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences. The committee represents the broad spectrum of disciplines and positions that comprise the research enterprise.
In December, while we prepared for the launch of the search, we hosted exploratory listening sessions with various groups of faculty, university leaders, and researchers. Keeping in mind GW’s research goals and mission, the purpose of these listening sessions was to collect feedback that would contribute to defining the vice provost’s role and goals, as well as the skills and experience a successful candidate should possess. Based on what we learned in the listening sessions, our goal is to recruit a vice provost with a broad range of expertise, exceptional knowledge of all disciplines, including the humanities and social sciences, and a track record of administrative accomplishments. The vice provost will be ready on day one to provide strategic leadership for GW’s vibrant research ecosystem.
The search committee, formed in consideration of suggestions from the Faculty Senate Executive Committee, deans, and other stakeholders, is as follows:
- Paul Wahlbeck, Dean, CCAS (chair)
- Meghana Ayyagari, Professor of International Business & Professor of International Affairs, GWSB
- David Diemert, Professor of Medicine and of Microbiology, Immunology, and Tropical Medicine, SMHS
- Maxine Freund, Associate Dean for Research and External Relations, GSEHD
- Raina Hackett, Undergraduate, Senate Policy Advisor, Diversity and Inclusion Assembly Chair, GW Student Association
- Danielle R. Haywood, PhD candidate in Program Evaluation, Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Administration, CCAS
- Gina Lohr, Senior Associate Vice Provost for Research
- Kausik Sarkar, Professor of Engineering and Applied Science, SEAS
- Chet Sherwood, Professor of Anthropology, CCAS
- Hannah Sommers, Senior Associate Dean and Deputy University Librarian
- Jim Tielsch, Chair of the Department of Global Health, GWSPH
- Lynn Westwater, Professor of Italian, CCAS (Diversity Advocate)
- Garry Young, Director, George Washington Institute of Public Policy
We will keep the community updated with search developments on the Office of the Provost site on the Leadership Searches page.
New Executive Director of the Office of Sponsored Projects
The Office of the Provost also is pleased to announce that Sylvia Ezekilova has been promoted to Executive Director of the Office of Sponsored Projects. Since September of 2019, Sylvia has served as Interim Director of that office, shepherding the transition to a shared service model and advancing a number of process enhancements, including myResearch, the new electronic research administration tool. Sylvia has more than twenty-five years of experience in various aspects of sponsored research administration, including 17 years at GW. She is an expert research administrator and a tremendous colleague. Please join us in congratulating Sylvia on this well-deserved promotion.
Once again, we must express our deepest thanks for your commitment to GW’s research endeavors. Through your hard work, you have continued expanding the frontiers of knowledge and addressing global challenges of today.
M. Brian Blake
Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
Senior Associate Vice Provost for Research